Hiwatt is Back!

Text item: Text_1

     Kevin,

     The February 1995 issue of Guitar Player has an advert for Hiwatt on
     page 92. The ad states that,

     "The DR reissue series amplifiers feature:

     A complete reproduction of the original HIWATT deigned by Dave Reeves.

     There is no printed circuit board in the DR series of amplifiers. They
     all use point to point, hand wiring, done to military specifications.

     The original, custom HIWATT PARTRIDGE transformers, are used in the DR
     series."

     To research your serial number, Hiwatt's U.S. phone number is (818)
     988-6790. They should be able to give you the UK number if their
     archives are incomplete.

     If you look at the Isle of Wight footage, there are some more good
     frames of John's amps, despite the fact that John is always
     shortchanged for camera time. Notice that the top amp is embossed on
     the face plate: "Custom Hiwatt 100  'The Who'." The second amp only is
     embossed "Custom Hiwatt 100." Maybe yours?!

     Another clue is that Reeves told me that The Who always used 100's,
     never 200's; something about the sound being better. And I guess
     having three each going through 1000 watts of WEM's "Wall of Sound,"
     is sufficient for anything!

     Let me know what you find out.

     Regards, George