John Entwistle's Hiwatts

Text item: Text_1

     Kevin,

     I can certainly confirm that John used Hiwatt during the 1969-70
     period. I saw them at the Fillmore East in May 1969 using Hiwatt and
     they used the same for the next year's tour.

     Look at the "Thirty Years" video again and review the three Tanglewood
     segments. There are some very clear frames of Entwistle's three Hiwatt
     amp stack, flanked by what appears to be 2 by 15" (or maybe 4 by 15")
     cabinets with 4 by 12" cabinets on top. I can't believe any roadie
     would lug around a 4 by 15" if that is what it was. I also don't think
     John would have used 18" speakers in this period. His sound was much
     too clear and half his numbers were played with a pick. Anyway, I
     don't know. Look at the perspective at the start of "I Can't Explain,"
     John's cabinet stack is much taller then Pete's.

     I can get you Hiwatt's phome number when I'm back at work on Tuesday.
     I saw them at NAMM last month and they still claim that they are true
     to the original valve-based design. I think PCB's are a sign of the
     times. I couldn't imagine them hand wiring everything like back in the
     old days.

     I bought my Hiwatt bass amp from the original builder/designer/genius
     Dave Reeves in England. His people used to wire the amps together
     behind his home!

     You might now be a bit closer to solving the mystery!

     Best regards, George