Re: TheWho Digest Vol 2 Num 28

In TheWho Digest Vol. 2 No. 27 Anthony J. Rzepela wrote:
>(I mean if Queensryche and Tori Amos can have one...:)

Really, are comments like this necessary?  I know you didn't mean to be nasty,
but I don't think it is appropriate to cast a disparaging light on anything or
anyone unless you intend to back up such comments with reasons and/or evidence.
The Who is my favorite band, but Queensryche is right up there too, and they
deserve an equal amount of respect.  (Yes, it is possible to RESPECTFULLY hate
a band.)

				- + - + -

>CAUTION: HERESY FOLLOWS - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK
>>In that disenchanting Playboy interview (93? 92? somebody mentioned it
>>recently) --the one where he comes off as a completely self-indulgent ass
>Self-indulgent ass? Hmmm..that narrows it down to the period ca.1965-1995.
>Much as I love the music of The Who in general and PT in particular, trying
>to make sense of PT seems like a pretty fruitless enterprise. Depending
>on which interview over the past few years one reads, one could come away
>with the impression that PT is either a
>A. Who lover
>B. Who hater
>C. Fool for rock 'n' roll
>D. Mr. Mom
>E. 'Don't Fence Me In' party-boy
>F. semi-repressed homosexual with a taste for punks
>G. Andrew L-Weber wannabe
>H. TS Eliot wannabe
>etc., etc.
>Finally I decided to subscribe to the Townshend Uncertainty Principle,
>i.e. that PT at all times has something to say, but that it's impossible to
>predict what it will be from moment to moment.

I must agree.  Pete Townshend is one of the best (I'd say THE best) rock (among
other things) composers who has ever lived.  As a person he is quite human --
that is irrational, tempermental, and unpredictable.

I don't want him to be my best friend, I just want to listen to his music.

				- + - + -

>After watching a replay of DST on Disney, I think
>my opinion changed as to Rogers voice.
>I think he still has it at 50,( I think  that this
>was debated a tad last year at this time) and could
>probably succeed in a New Who ( Here I Go...) album
>IF they all got together and did something.

Comparing Daltry of the sixties to how he sounds now, I think he is much BETTER
now!  He is still just as stong, his voice is still in good shape, and he has
learned a great deal of control that he didn't have before.  Particularly on
the slower, quieter song, the performance benefits greatly from his vocal
maturity.

>(( P.S. Pete looked much better with the pony tail in
>   '89, but it's his decision to cut it...))

I kinda liked it, too.  But then again, I'm not entirely unbiased....

					- Michael