Pete's Voice

On Thu, 14 Dec 1995 09:54:09 -0700 (MST)
Trish Pottersmith <trish.pottersmith@Colorado.EDU> wrote:

>-Call me crazy (and I know you will!) but I've secretly preferred
>Pete's voice to Rog's for a while now.  Well, maybe what I really
>love is the combination.   What I like about many songs is the
>juxtaposition of Roger's gruffness, toughness with the emotional honesty of
>Pete's lyrics.  That combination (especially in songs where Pete comes in
>for the middle eight or a particular verse)is part of what makes them
>The Who, for me.  The music of The Who and of Pete's is so
>versatile...there's something there for you for your every mood.

Wow, A Who-ster after my own heart...I feel as if I read something I
wrote myself!  Crazy? No.  I've always liked Pete's voice more than Roger's.
Not to say I _don't_ like Roger's vocal cords but for some reason since
the very beginning of time (which would be in the year 1982, when I
first started to listen to The 'Oo) Pete's voice and the way he sang the
song evoked an emotion I have never felt before with any other music.
Achey heart, dreaminess, sorrow, anger etc.  Roger has a different way
of presenting the songs - which, I might add I thoroughly enjoy as well.

>  There's something about driving and The Who.

Oh, absolutely.  I've got many tapes in my car of the Who and Pete solo.
My husband owns an auto repair shop, and I get many "new" used cars
throughout the year.  The first question I ask, is a) does the car have
a stereo, and b) what color is it.  If there is no stereo I cannot
imagine myself even trying to drive!  Luckily, I haven't been without.

>-Last thing, I watched the tape of the PBS "Psychoderelict" the
>other night.  Pete's been better (thought he might of been sick or
>something) but I loved it anyway.  I think we taped that on Dec 1,
>1993...only took me two years to be able to watch it.  Little things like
>pregnancy, childbirth, toddlers just keep getting in the way!

It was an interesting way of presenting his music. Different, but I
too enjoyed it.

Lynn Blair