The 5 CD live set

     Mark Leaman suggested this arrangment for the 5 CD live set (that I'll bet
     most of us want more than a puny 2 CD thing)

     Disk 1: `64-`68
     Disk 2: TOMMY & Summertime Blues
     Disk 3: `71-`72
     Disk 4: QUADROPHENIA live
     Disk 5: `74-`89

     First thing we have to accept is that it's gonna feel a little like a live
     Who's Greatest Hits. What we can hope and push for is that the disks don't
     become dominated in that fashion. WGFA and BBE and probably Baba are gonna
     be there. And that's OK because this has to have some mass market appeal
     for those who aren't on this list.

     The only suggestion I can add to Mark's good listing is on Disk 5. I would
     change it to:

     Disk 5: '74-82

     On this disk, I would imagine we'd see stuff from Charlton 74 and Swansea
     76. Great. But I'd also like to see good coverage of stuff from 1979 (say
     Chicago, which we know is in the can).  Also, I think it'd be beneficial to
     have stuff from FD, like QUIET ONE, etc. And IH stuff they performed that
     was excluded (for contractual reasons, I imagine) from WHO'S LAST.
     Certainly Essen is a good early 80s Who show and I think Jones's
     contribution to their live sound deserves to be heard.  I also thought that
     they should have released Chicago 79 or one of the MSG shows as a live
     album to introduce Kenney. Oh well, I've got 'em anyway now.

     I don't think it's necessary to repeat anything from WHO'S LAST on this
     collection, nor do I think anything from 1989 should be here. JOIN TOGETHER
     is representative of that.

     Since I'm somewhat of a purist, I'd really rather see the 5 disks be 5
     complete, separate shows.  I think it'd flow more smoothly.  If I producing
     the set in that fashion (and to play along with Mark's game), I'd do it
     like this:

     Disk 1: Complete Fillmore East show from 68
     Disk 2: IOW or Tanglewood, 1970 (this would satisfy the TOMMY lovers)
     Disk 3: a full QUAD show (which would include some Who's Next songs)
     Disk 4: Charlton 74 or Swansea 76 or something from this period (ditto)
     Disk 5: Chicago 1979

     I think these disks would cover the Who pretty fairly. And for those who'd
     bitch because they are no 80s stuff, tell 'em to go buy WL or JT.

     --Jim