Re: Woodstock

   I think the thing that's most shaky with the Woodstock performance is the
vocals.  Roger's voice, in particular is very rough; in "Go To the Mirror," his
voice very audibly breaks a couple of times while going for high notes.  And the
harmonies on "Heaven and Hell" are way off.  But Keith is definitely on at that
show and the performance is particularly ferocious.  Also, one thing that's
frequently wrong with boots is the mix and the levels; the Woodstock tape,
while my copy has a lot of tape hiss, is very clear, very strong, and very well-
mixed.
   All this said, however, I would much prefer the complete Tanglewood or Isle
of Wight shows; the defects with the Woodstock performance are such that I'm
not sure it merits official release.  And in my opinion, the best parts of the
show- "Sparks" and "See Me, Feel Me," both awesome renditions- have already been
officially released.
   By the way, one thing I've always noticed: does anyone else think that the
plot of Tommy actually makes more sense in the condensed version they played at
Woodstock than in the full album?

                                                        Mike