Re: Pete & U2

On Wed, 13 Dec 1995 Extremus@aol.com wrote:
> Brad wrote:
> >> It is obvious they (U2) are heavily influenced by The Who
> And WF replied:
> >>Really??? I never thought that.
>
> Maybe U2 as a group weren't highly influenced by The Who, but The Edge has
> said in several interviews that his playing style was strongly influenced by
> Pete's.  Especially with their earlier music, you can hear a lot of PT riffs.
>  Edge said that, like PT, he was the combination lead-rhythm guitarist for
> his band.  In both bands (especially live performances), the guitar work
> often sounds like two guitars, with both "fat" rhythm chords and lead runs
> being heard as close to simultaneous as one person can get.

Listen to something Robert Johnson (an extremely influential performer
considering only about 29 different songs are still around).

When he wants to something on the lower strings, the chord strumming just
gets a little quieter, and he plays both chords and lead runs
simultaneously.  As Keith Richards says in the liner notes,
"When I first heard it, I said to Brian, "Who's that?" "Robert Johnson."
I said, "Yeah, but who's the other guy playing with him?"  Because I was
hearing two guitars, and it took me a long time to realize he was
actually doing it all by himself."

Of course, the type of stuff Keith Richards was taking at the time, it
might have been quite a while before he realized the organ he was also
hearing was actually coming from inside his head, not from the record...

--LP.