Re; bass players (Noel Redding)

>Actually, Jimi himself played a lot (if not all) of the bass parts on the
>Jimi Hendrix Experience albums.

Hendrix played some bass but most of it was supplied by Redding.

>It seems Noel couldn't (or wouldn't) play how Jimi wanted.  After all,
>he wanted to be a lead guitarist himself, to which end he formed his own
>band, Fat Mattresses (sp?) which opened for later Jimi bands on occasion.

Redding was a guitarist to begin with.  He only switched to bass because
of the offer to join the Experience.  As for Fat Mattresses, there was
talk of having each member of the Experience play a short opening set
before the show (i.e. Fat Mattress, Mitch Mitchell's Mind Octopus, the
Band Of Gypsys, then The J.H. Experience).  But that fell through.

I could see the Who doing a similar thing, but I think a better idea
would be to allow each member of the band a solo spotlight (like Van
Halen's current system).

Later,

Scott
(swandwn@agora.rdrop.com)