Re: Re[2]: Moon and the Ox

On Tue, 5 Dec 1995, Kevin Winn wrote:

> >(Note: Pete mentioned how Noel Redding, the bass player, was a complete
> >Entwistle fanatic. His sound, though, was usually lots of distortion. It
> >didn't really get in Jimi's way at least.)
>
> Well, he may have been a JE fan, but his sound was at the opposite end of
> things: very much a booming, fat mid-60's Fender sound, where there is hardly
> any noticeable definition between notes.  John's treble knob setting was
> matched only by Chris Squire.
>
> I think Redding played "underneath" Hendrix (not difficult to do, what with
> Jimi's tendencies for soaring), while JE played all *around* PT.  So many
> times I listen to Leeds and think that Pete is the rhythm section and
> everybody else is taking solos.
>
> Studio work is much more subdued (if one could ever apply that term to
> Entwistle) in that JE (or the producer) seems to approach his sound as more
> of a "role" in the construction of the song. "Behind Blue Eyes" comes to mind
> immediately.  Plenty of support for the lower registers, but there are some
> unbeLIEVable riffs in there, too.
>

> OK,
> KLW

I think that on the Leeds album, JE plays more busily, esp during Pete's
solos to add more depth to the sound, this is so the sound doesn't seem
too thin.  I think that this is mentioned in the liner notes. When Pete
isn't soloing, John backs off and compliments Pete's Guitar.  In the
studio, they can layer the guitar, so there isn't as much of a need for
John to go hog wild.  This is the mark of a great musician, and one of
the reasons that I think John is one of the greatest bass players in rock
and roll.

I wouldn't call what John does as lead bass.  Although he does play
interesting, melodic bass lines; most of the time, they rhythmiclly and
harmonically compliment the chord structure laid down by Pete.  There are
exceptions like, The Real Me.  This is lead bass par excellance.

That Abubbica guy                        "Don't count your weasels
abubbica@chihuahua.org                    before they pop...dink!"
                                                         -the Tick