Pete's fax to the Who convention

Hi, all,

I finally tracked down where I had saved the text of Pete Townshend's fax
to the Who convention that was reproduced in the convention program.  (Ain't
the "find" command wonderful, especially once you remember the name of the
file you're looking for!)  Before I left London, I got the organizers'
permission to publish it on the mailing list, so I hope you enjoy it.  (I
certainly did.)

> Mike <

FAX MESSAGE from Pete Townshend to the Who convention.
Reprinted with permission.

  It's great that there is to be a Who Convention in 1995 -- 30 years
  after we got our first hit record.  For me, the past year has been a
  good one because I have managed to get over all my feelings of
  sadness about the band, and accept all the really good things we
  achieved and the value of the friendships I made.  It seems to me
  that this Convention is a reflection of the warmth, care, interest
  and love that our real fans have always shown us and each other.
  All I can say is that I feel that way today for you all.

  I am grateful that I got the opportunity to be in The Who, and
  that we happened when we did - at the beginning of the British
  R&B scene in the '60s.  Today, as in the '70s punk explosion, there
  is a flush of brilliant new bands who base part of their sound,
  approach and writing styles on '60s bands like The Who, The
  Faces, The Kinks and of course those other two bands I've
  forgotten the names of.  I'm sure you all miss seeing The Who play
  live.  I miss it too, but for me what The Who did was show that if
  you're young and brave you can still have a voice.  The new
  younger generation of bands are proving this still works.

  Not so young any more, perhaps not so brave, I'm certainly
  happier.  And I'm very, very proud too.  We mad mistakes, lots of
  them, but they don't matter today.  Have a great time at this
  convention.  I'm sorry I can't be with you.  I'm sure I speak for
  everyone on The Who inside track when I send my love.

  Don't do anything at this convention that I wouldn't do.  Which
  means you can do almost anything except try to climb the
  Matterhorn.  (Save that for later.)  Have a great day.