Bad attitude...

We went to Philly, PA yesterday. Apparently the record show there was
cancelled, so we drove around a bit... Eventually, we ran into a record store
called "Plastic, Fantastic". When we called for directions while in front of
another record store, they had the nerve to ask us to "go back in that store,
they can tell you how to get here." Since when is the customer an
inconvenience? I explained to her, I wouldn't do that, so she gave me the
wrong directions! When I got there, I saw they had a decent vinyl selection,
including The Who. The CD selection was nothing to brag about. Unfortunately,
I had everything they did. However, I came across the orginal Mad Magazine
record that I wanted (the one on "Big Top Records"), but with an asking price
of $100! (it's a $25 record). The cover was a little ripped on the side, and
the plastic it was in was stappled, so I couldn't see its vinyl condition. I
tried offering them $50, based on a "mint" record, but was told that I "have
to wait a while, the owner can't be disturbed right now." That was OK, we
looked around a bit more.... So, when he finally did come out, I asked him
about it and he said, "go get the record, let me look at it." In the
meanwhile, on the counter, were some beautiful die cast 1/8th scale European
cars (something else I collect), so I asked him, "Are these for sale?" No.
"Where did you get them?" Are you a collector? "Yes." Well then I can't tell
you. "Why not?" They're very rare and very expensive and I don't want people
knowing where to get them? "Can you tell me what country they are from?"
France, and that's all I'm going to tell you. So, I got the record from
upstairs and brought it down. He opens it up and it's scratched to shit. Then
he says, "Well.... it's not exactly mint, but it's only got a few surface
scatches... I'll do it for $60." Needless to say, I didn't buy the record...

In my travels, I've found that most (but not all) collectors shops have very
positive attitudes, but I found this place the real pits...

WF <~