Re: a quick one

Interestingly enough, the earliest version (presumably their freshest) I
have heard live was from Monterey Pop, and to me it sounds atrocious, with
the exception of Moon's drumming saving the day at the end.  The Fillmore
'68 version what I remember of it from hearing it in 1976 or thereabouts
was really long and drawn out.  The R&R Circus version is absolutely spot
on, and played spectacularly, and to me it's the best ending, becuase it's
not really drawn out and Townshend solos on some low notes, which showcases
the SG-P90-Hiwatt-distortion combo which can't be beat.... The Live at Leeds
version is truly great, but just a shade off the lofty heights of the
R&R Circus version.. but really hard to measure...

(Topic drifting slightly):  Having heard what I've
heard from '69-70, Live at Leeds is still heads up the best, cleanest implementation I've ever heard of songs from that era.... Yet ironically from the
eeny weeny tidbits of lead solos Townshend plays these days, I'm sure his
playing is proabably better than ever, though his sound is lacking to me...

Final subject:  Can we send a petition to Shel Talmy to release the goddam
first album's tapes?  Maybe that'd just inspire him to hold out for more
bucks.  Sheesh gimme a break, man!

Jeff