Re: psychoderelict

There are some differing opinions on the WHOlist about PsychoDerelict, and I
thought I would put in my 2 cents:

I certainly don't find the music on PsychoDerelict to be "ordinary" by any
means. I personally feel that PD is Pete's best work since White City. In
fact, "English Boy" is , IMHO, one of his 10 best songs EVER. I view the
song as his "My Generation" for the 90s, his statement on the condition of
his generation, how they lost their values, their reason, their tools and
their toys.

The dialogue version is good to have for collectors' purposes, but once you've
heard the thing through a few times, it gets tired. The music-only version is
essential PT. I don't know about you all, but when I listen to PD, I hear PT
getting aggressive again, getting angry again, revealing parts of himself
through the lyrics (as well as the characters of the play) again.

I also absolutely adore the song "Now And Then", one of PT's best-EVER
ballads.

And, I must confess---to this day, I tear down the highway and listen to
"English Boy" and "English Boy (Reprise)" totally cranked to 11!!! Just listen
to the guitar work in the Reprise!! Better yet, part 1 of the 2-part "English
Boy" CD single includes a 12-minute-plus selection called "PsychoMontage". The
"Montage" includes unused PD music, including the demo for "English Boy". The
guitar rips!!!!!!

In short, "PsychoDerelict", probably PT's most underappreciated and
misunderstood musical work, is one of his best.

Marty Secero

"If you raise your dress, then I will bite" --- PT, "English Boy", 1993