KLMoon Vehicles..

> A few kids in my hallway have a running argument about Keith Moon.. Both
> are drummers, and one believes that John Bonham was a better drummer,
> while the other, a Jazz drummer, finds Buddy Rich a better
> drummer. He even says Neil Pert (sp) from Rush is FASTER. HA! Whatever.

Putting Moon against Bonham is debatable but come on, Buddy Rich is
heads and shoulders above any rock drummer.  I'd also include Max Roach,
and Joe Morello in this catergory.  Jazz demands so much more from a
drummer its really comparing apples and oranges.

Bonham like Moon and even Charlie Watts are good rock drummers
because they were ORIGINAL.  It's very easy to mimic these three
(Moon probably being the hardest because he was so unpredictable)
but that doesn't mean they were inferior.  Actually I always thought
Ian Paice of Deep Purple did a better John Bonham than Bonham
himself.

> Anyways, for albums and songs that showcase Moon's ability, here's my list.
>
> The Entire album "Tommy" : Not only is Moon fast, but his timing, sound,
> and style are flawless.
>
> "Cobwebs and Strange" : Moon is very fast and loud, but the two annoying
> kids say he is sloppy. Go figure.
>
> "Dogs, Part II" : he simply wails in this song. And, of course, he barks
> a lot.
>
> "Water" : The song progresses from guitar to sudden drum jump, and Moon
> is great in this one.
>
> The entire album "Quadrophenia" : If you have this album, you'll know why.
>
> "Happy Jack" : He's so quick and fast, and uses different drum style.

Bargain is a great Moon song.  You can really hear the double bass
in the synth passages.

BTW speaking of Bonham, I saw "The Songs Remains the Same" for the
umpteenth time this weekend.  Since I haven't seen it in a good
while, I wanted to compare them to the Who.  Actually there isn't
any comparison.  The Who flat out were a much better live band.
Zeppelin seemed to be more popular because they were mysterious and
created a demi-god image of themselves.  The Who seemed to be a much
more approachable down to earth group which didn't get the rock
groupies knocking down your door.  I must admit though the Unledded special
is one of the best MTV has shown.  I'm not really into Morrocan
flavor music, but it really wasn't bad.  Though I know I could've
imitated Bonham better than the clown they hired.  I was waiting to
hear those killer drum licks but he never put them in the right
place  :(.