Re: Thoughts on VH-1 special

Joseph Grimes <jgg@iac.net> writes:

> Pete seems to be in a great mood in
> recent interviews; I think he can finally put the Who in the past and
> place their role in music in perspective.

Does anyone know when Pete was interviewed for the piece
in the Sinead-cover "Q" magazine article?  I don't recall
ever reading such nasty, nasty stuff. It was certainly
a contrast to what was shown on VH-1.

I've yet to pick up that "Golmine" issue, too.
I'd better get on the ball.

> The edited 30 Years of R&B was weird, especially the way they cut out the
> middle of "Anyway" where Pete throws the guitar and the middle of "Young
> Man Blues" where Pete has his windmill freakout.  These were two of the
> best parts of the video!

Just a comment: I've yet to see the full video, because the
Stones' tour has me strapped for cash, and no one convenient to
me has it for rent. This was the first opportunity I've had to
see it.  I, too, am STUNNED by the breadth and quality of
footage on this tape. Something else I like is how the selection
of material shows off how truly integral to the Who's live work Keith
was. My SO, rather anti-rock-n-roll, and first exposed here to Keith,
thought Moonie was "remarkable".

I've never really been clear on WHY exactly Daltrey so
disliked Kenney Jones (that is the common wisdom, right?).
Anyone have any insight?

I really liked the little in-joke of showing the Finnish TV clip
of the Who in action right after Pete insists they can't be captured
on film. Hyuk, Hyuk.

> I agree with Pete that '89 was The Who On Ice.  Tommy lends itself to an
> elaborate production (especially horns) but the Giants Stadium show was
> pretty bland.

Yeah - I was bored, but that's not the tour's fault. I saw '89
live twice, have the RCMH and PPV shows, and all of it is top-notch
stuff.  I don't think this film was well done. One thing that's
really annoying is that it was just a string of recognizable hits.

It was the "obscure" songs (as well as some of Pete's solo stuff)
that Roger referred to that made the tour special, IMHO. The VH-1 edit
was just hit-hit-hit BLAMBLAMBLAM. They did the same thing with their
edits of Stones programming several weeks ago. This kind of
ties in with someone else's thread idea: I used to really get off
on "Love Reign O'er Me", but jeez, has that become a bore to get through
without killing someone.

>             The preceding was sponsored by Clairol GLINTS.

Mentos - Fresh and full of life!!

++Tony, relieved that it only takes eight shampoos to get it out....