Re: old Pete news/quotes re: new Who

In article <9411020404.AA29091@kong.syr.edu>,
    "\"\"Jonathan L. Proulx\"\"" <jlproulx@mailbox.syr.edu>  writes:
> I know that news of Pete not doing any more albums is old,

Am I the only person that is greatly relieved that The Who's last
"official" studio album turned out to be _It's Hard_ rather than the
anemic _Face Dances_?  I will miss the idea of Pete, Roger and John
(and presumably Kenney?) doing another album, but I also know that
its not the end of their musical careers.  I really liked _Too Late
The Hero_, which surprised me considering I'd heard earlier solo
albums of John's and I hadn't really liked them.  Then there's
Psychoderelict, but then I always did identify more with Pete's
perspective than anyone else's and I have enjoyed all his solo stuff,
even the excessively spiritual (for my tastes) _Who Came First_.

My wish for a new Who album would be for a live album that really
showcases the Moon incarnation of the band.  Something like:

    The entire woodstock performance (could be released on video too!)
	I know Pete says he hated this show because someone dosed his
	drink with acid and he didn't want to be tripping, but the
	footage in The Kids Are Alright testifies that The Who truly
	do deliver their best and most frenzied of performances when
	they're all truly fucking pissed off!!

    The entire performance from the Shepperton film studios, of which
	Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again were snipped out for
	The Kids Are Alright.  (Shit, they should just release that
	as a full-length concert film/video.)  This being the last
	recorded gig of Keith's it would be the best and most fitting
	hommage to him I could think of.  Of course, not having seen
	the rest of this show, it might've all sucked except for these
	two songs, but somehow I really doubt it.  The place was
	filled with fans, the band was obviously into the performance
	and excited about the future with Keith getting his shit
	together.

    The entire Live at Leeds concert, but that probably won't happen
	since the show has been appearing on bootlegs and it would
	definately undercut sales of the existing LaL album/CD.  Who
	would buy just part of the concert when they could buy the
	whole thing?  The catalog nazis at MCA would shit a brick and
	probably sue if they tried to do this (isn't there existing
	contract with Warner Bros.?).

I have listened to the double CD "Join Together", and while its nice
to have something from the Kenney Jones period live, frankly it isn't
that great.  Roger's voice sounds like he's been gargling with razor
blades and all those extra accompanying instruments get in the way of
the band's core sound of Pete, John, Roger and Kenney.  Hell, I've got
medium-quality sound bootlegs of much better concerts than all this
put together!!  (The best being that triple record set simply titled
"The Who" from their Madison Square Garden Performance.  Kenney
absolutely R-O-C-K-S on that bootleg!  I never really appreciated him
before hearing that.)

With what I've heard on the bootlegs (admittedly sometimes you have to
be stoned to be able to mentally filter out all the noise and hiss), I
think the best that has been offered legally to represent the band's
live sound is either Live At Leeds or The Kids Are Alright soundtrack
(and quite a bit of that isn't even really "live").  However, we're
still really lacking the awesome triple record set or double CD kick
ass live show that really shows The Who rocking the pants off the
audience.

The ironic thing about me saying all that is that I've only been able
to get a GLIMPSE of The Who performing in this manner through bootlegs
and TKAA/30yr. footage.  The one time I saw The Who in concert, I was
so turned off by the "mega concert drunk fucks dominating the crowd"
scene that I don't even remember the concert very clearly (and I was
sober, unlike one of my friends who spent the entire concert passed
out in the parking lot).  It was 1982 at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia;
check Wes Biggs' hypertext who concert list for the exact date.

						-- Rich
--
http://www.xmission.com/~legalize	Legalize Adulthood in Utah!
legalize@xmission.com