RE: TheWho Digest Vol 1 Num 113Sun Dec 7 12:10:24 PST 1997

>Date: Fri, 22 Jul 1994 11:40:25 EDT
>From: "Anthony J. Rzepela" <rzepela@cvi.hahnemann.edu>
>Subject: Re: Shel Talmy
>

>In a 1993 interview with _Record Collector_ magazine, Ray Davies
>of the Kinks, when asked if he ever considered suing over the
>similarities between "I Can't Explain" and "All of the Day and All
>of the Night", stated that he felt The Kinks should have been able
>to sue not over any particular song, but over the Shel Talmy _style_,
>which was made popular by The Kinks, then, (claimed Ray) adopted
>by The Who.
>
>In Ray's mind, The Who (who opened for the Kinks while still
>the High Numbers) were nothing like their early records, and
>only adopted the style after seeing the more successful Kinks in
>action, and grabbing Talmy.

There was a 2 hour interview with Pete on BBC Radio 1 over the last 2
weekends primarily as a mechanism to promote the box.  On the subject of the
Shel Talmy productions Pete noted how strict these early productions were as
Talmy knew exactly what sound he was after and how to get it.  The band had
literally no hand in the production and very rarely even heard the playback
before the discs went out - it was when Glyn Johns said that Pete was
"interested in production" and "would it be alright if he heard the
playback" that Pete got into the control room.  Roger then showed an
interest but was told to b%$^&r off!

Anyway, it might explain why the sounds are very similar - not sure if the
Who deliberately approached Talmy or how the coupling came about.

MCW