Moon at the Cow Palace

Sorry to disagree Svante, but I have the same book "Moon the Loon".
If you re-read the story, you'll find it initially takes place in LA
with Moon passed out on a coach, his friend and baby sitter "Dougie"
(also the author of this book) wakes up him because he has a concert
in San Fran in 3 hours.  Moon askes him to bring him the case behind
the toilet, which is filled with all sorts of pills (and not the kind
you can find at the local drugstore).  He then proceeds to take a
whole handful (which could've been anything) and gets ready to go the
airport.  I'll skip the flight, only adding he hates to fly.  By the
time they get to San Fran, Moon is in horrible shape.  The band
starts to play and Pete is screaming at Moon to play faster (in so
many words) but nothing succeeds.  Dougie knows he's in trouble and
goes outside to place a phonecall for a doctor.  The doctor who
arrived resembled someone from a Dead show.  Anyway, the rest of the
story is told by the band in the video, but this DOES take place in
San Francisco.  They actually have b+w footage of him passed out,
with Pete asking for someone to play the drums.  The book quotes the
doctor telling Moon "Man if you keep mixing booze and pills, you are
going to DIE!"  I guess he never learned.  (actually that isn't the
exact quote, because I lost the book, but I remember this story)