Outer Box Info/Remixes

I checked in the booklet that came with the box set and the track listing it
contains does NOT identify Who are You as the single version, although it
does fail to indicate that it was edited.  I think the real problem is with
the labeling on the outside box.  I'm positive that most if not all of the
later tracks were not remixed.  An ealier post suggested that the producers
"forgot" to remix a few of the later tracks.  Actually, I suspect the
decisionnot to remix was probably deliberate.  First, many of the later
recordings were comparatively well-produced (except for Quadrophenia,
perhaps, which I agree [with Roger] could benefit from remixing).  Thus,
there would not be a substantial gain in terms of sound quality.  Second,
when you move from four or eight tracks to sixteen or thirty-two, it becomes
difficult if not impossible to faithfully replicate the original mix.
 Consequently, any remixing is bound to invite criticism from purists.  I do
wish MCA would at least correct the information on the box so I know which
tracks were actually remixed.  I doubt that the Quick One-era material was
remixed because most of it is still in mono.  Since the High Numbers tracks
were mixed to stereo, I suspect the producers would have done the same for
the later material (although mono remixes aren't entirely unheard of).  The
Sell Out material sounds vastly improved to my ears at least, but once again,
the lack of "clean" intros makes it somewhat doubtful that the tracks were
remixed.  The unreleased material, on the other hand, was almost certainly
remixed.