Re: Vitaly's Summer Vacation -Reply

>>> Josh Ozersky <josh_ozersky@yahoo.com> 04/29/99 08:54am >>>
Yeah, let's keep our fingers crossed that Vitaly
doesn't get hurt.  But he's young, it'll be ok.  You
know, I consider this Vitaly trade to be a flawless
sense-o-meter by which I can judge critics.  And we got him for a
career nonstarting power forward and a pick in what is
clearly the worst draft I have seen in over a decade.
And even if this was a good draft, a center of V's
caliber would be unavailable, UNLESS we got a top
three pick, which is protected anyway!  And
furthermore, the last thing this team needs is another
rookie.  So if you don't like the Vitaly trade, your
brain is in shutdown mode. <<<<<

Josh:

I usually enjoy and agree with your posts, but I think that you've
completely missed the point on this one.  Cleveland has gotten similar
production out of DeClerq as a function of "going to him" in the post, as
well.  But the determining factor in  many critics minds vis a vis this trade
is the fact that Cleveland--and now the Celtics--will have to pony up
big-time cash this off season to retain Potapenko.

In all likelihood (and with Kemp and Ilgauskas as their undisputed starters
at 4 and 5), the Cavs were going to lose Vitaly to a team that was willing
to "overpay," as you put it.  In exchange, the get a guy who has provided
similar numbers that they will sign for significantly less money PLUS a
chance to draft a collegian star with the #4 - #15 selection we threw in,
enhancing their depth.

So, I ask you to reconsider who got the better bargain.  If the Celts end
up not getting a top 3 spot in the draft, meaning that they forego the
opportunity to select Baron Davis, William Avery, or any of the other
names that get thrown around the list on a daily basis, then it seems to
me that Cleveland took advantage of our gaping need at center by pulling
off a trade that is weighted in their favor.

That doesn't mean that I feel that Vitaly is a stiff, but you fail to
differentiate between critics of Potapenko's game and critics of the
specific trade logistics.

Ryan