Tuning out coaches

Well, it's all over NY talk radio - the Knicks have tuned out Van Gundy.
They quit on him.  The same Van Gundy who does not yell at his players.  The
same Van Gundy who desperately clung to Mourning's leg to try to protect his
players.  The same Van Gundy who will probably get the axe.  Alan Houston,
one of his "emotionally fragile" players, cannot cope with having Sprewell
(another shooting guard) on the team. Rumblings abound about the trade that
sent away team leader Oakley for Camby who can't seem to fit in.  They are
unhappy with their point guards.  Either Houston or Sprewell has to go this
off-season.  Not a lot different than life in Beantown except that Ewing is a
more automatic scorer than any Celtic at this stage of their young careers.

Food for thought:

Would Ward, Childs & Houston better fit Pitino's system?  All 3 can hit the 3
pointer.
Childs is recognized as a solid defender and Ward is willing to try.

How about a swap of backcourts?  Ward, Childs & Houston for Anderson, Barros,
Mercer and whatever else it takes to balance the salaries - Ellison, Minor
etc.

Then we could concentrate on using our exemptions for a veteran PF and a
better back up center, and use Pierce as 6th man swinging between the 2 & 3
much like Hondo did.  Anderson would better fit the Knicks' style of play and
would be probably be welcomed home (until Sprewell strangles him).

First unit:  Potapenko, FA PF (maybe Oakley), Walker, Houston, Ward.

Second unit: FA Center (maybe Stewart), Battie, Pierce, Bowen, Childs.
(Pierce would also see time with the 1st unit and Walker would see time at
the 4 on either unit in order to provide more offensive balance).

McCarty would be a change of pace player with either unit to cause some
havoc, and the 12th spot could go to a point guard project for the future.

Now if Popeye somehow became the Popeye of old that would eliminate our need
for a FA PF but that is questionable.

Would Oakley come?  I think his first choice, no matter how much he likes
Pitino, would be to go back to NY.  On a recent trip there he took 6 of his
ex-teammates to dinner.

Another try for Yogi?  he seemed from the beginning to be a better fit here
than in Toronto and rarely gets off the bench there. Doubtful if they are
going to abide by any handshake deal they had to sign him for bigger bucks.

Just some new possibilities so we don't have to discuss Rogers or Turner for
a while.

George