Re: why trade Battie?

> I can't imagine why Pitino would trade Battie and
> Bowen, and I'm still not sure this really happened.
> Battie is a much more skillful version of walter, with
> much much better shot blocking ability.  I really like
> him at 4 a lot, and I think we could move him into the
> starting lineup, move Ron into a 6th role, and be in
> business.  Throwing in our best defender is even
> sillier.  For a guy who nobody wants anyway?  I don't
> get it at all.

I think the main reason is because Battie is a salary cap
nightmare in the making. Seriously, he is just good enough
to demand some sort of hefty contract but doesn't really
fit in the Celtics starting lineup plans for the future.
Rogers on the other hand is someone that no one wants, as
you say, and would have to re-sign for cheap (if the Celtics
like him). Rogers is also the age that Pitino is looking for.

The other option would be to renounce him and try to use the
salary cap space to play in the free agent market. To actually
get below the cap would require more moves though.

Bowen is not really a big loss but he could always be resigned
after this season using an exception. But if Pitino is going
to move Walker to 3 and Pierce to 2, there isn't much playing
time for Bowen. If Pitino wants to try the free-agent market,
Bowen will be renounced (and probably signed to the minimum
after the deals are done).

> btw, how about some props for this 12 page article I
> wrote?  Where's all the love?

It was definitely very entertaining.

Alex