Re: The final price

>Personally, I thought a while back that Pitino should offer Walker just
>a 2-year "home town discount" extension at this Rasheed Wallace money.
>It may sound stupid, but that way Walker could become a FA again when
>he's a more "proven" 25-year-old commodity and we listmembers can then
>either mercilessly boast 1) "I told you so, NOW he's asking for 35
>million-a-year and he richly deserves it for his 55%FG / 80%FT and our
>60 win season etc.  or 2) "I told you so, Toine is still a 42%FG
>shooting, ball-hogging, show-boating embarrassment whose 14 million in
>free cap space can now luckily be used to acquire player so-and-so."
>
>IMO, Pitino would have to be a master salesman to pull this one off with
>both Falk and Walker, but I think even they might see the plus side,
>especially if the 14 million kicks in immediately. Just wishful
>thinking, probably.
>
>Joe H

I've had similar thoughts along this line. Antoine could get HUGE money and
silence all doubters as to his loyalty and his game by sticking with the
C's and their program and developing his game with improved talent around
him. There is some validity to talk that his shot selection and shooting %
,turnover ratio etc. would improve if he didn't always have to be "the man"
and had the Pierce's and free agent X's around him. You are right in that
it might be to Toine's ultimate advantage to take a two year deal, erase
all doubt about his game and his maturity, and then stick it to whoever
contract- wise. However, american instant gratification syndrome  being
what it is, I doubt that he or (more to the point) Falk, has the foresight
or the sheer cojones for such a move.

                                                      Michael A. DiZio