So Antoine Walker wants to win...

	In Michael Holley's recent article that was posted to the list,
Antoine made some remarks about his concerns with what else Pitino does
to improve the team in the off-season.  I think it is obvious that we need
to hope that Pitino makes it clear to Antoine that, aside from continuing
and improving upon his stellar play, the single most important thing that
Antoine could do himself to help this team is to play out his contract
and sign next summer.
	I must admit that I am a bit underinformed, but someone must know
how much salary we will clear next summer to allow us to sign free agents.
It seems as if it must be more than we have this summer.  I'm sure someone
has this info, and may have already posted it - Warwick?  If Antoine
really does want to win, then let's hope that Pitino can placate his ego
and convince him that the Celts need to get as many quality players as
possible before going over the cap (of course this assumes the CBA
is largely unchanged).
	Lest anyone confuse me with an Antoine-hater, rest assured I am
not.  I love him as a player, am sure he will improve to the level we all
hope for, and hope we see him inducted into the Hall of Fame as a career
Celtic someday. I simply hope he will see the value in delaying his payday
for a year to allow the Celtics to build another dynasty, and worry that
his quest for "respect" might doom the Celtics to mediocrity for several
years.  Perhaps Pitino could make sure he knows exactly how much money
Jordan makes on endorsements, what his salary was in the early years, and
how many championships the Bulls have won.  Maybe ask him if he thinks MJ
has gotten "respect."  And if Antoine doesn't see the value in waiting a
year for the big $, can we really believe that what he says about wanting
to win is more important to him than what he says about wanting "respect"?
As a fan, is it more important to you that the Celtics win, or that
Antoine gets his "respect?"  I do realize that some may think that those
two things can co-exist, but I'm not sure that this team is ready to go
over the salary cap just yet, dooming itself to improvement only by
trades and the development of draft picks and lower-level free agents.
	Finally, when I say "respect", I mean whatever AW means when he
says that he wants the Celtics to show him respect and loyalty by signing
him this summer as opposed to next summer.  Put me in the camp that
realizes we don't know how much AW might want or demand.  I don't think
the size of the contract really matters (or should matter) to anyone
except Gaston and AW. Still, I do know that whatever the contract is, it
WILL put the Celts over the cap for at the least the remainder of his
contract.
	Sorry to ramble on so long.  Count this as my attempt to help the
recent drive to steer the list back to basketball discussion.  Lately
there has been hope, with the reposting of last year's games.  I can't
recall who proposed and executed this idea (I deleted my digest), but
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.  I, like many others, was seriously
considering unsubscribing until the end of the lockout.