First Half Of June

Hey guys,

I've gone to some lengths to collate some information for you guys to go
through.. Sorry if its long, short in areas that you're interested in...

*Point Guard

Gregory Hurst: "If Rick Pitino`s style of play is the same, which is to
push the ball up the floor,shoot the three and pass to a guy coming off
of a screen?  I think Dee and Dana can contribute. Rick`s style is a
Tony Delk type player,  a former  point guard that won a national
championship. This should tell you the type point guard he is looking
for."

View now: Kenny Anderson is a player who fits that description of a Rick
Pitino point guard. Dana Barros had his best season with the Celtics and
made a big contribution.

*Mishra's Free Agents Worth Targetting (and what they actually did)

David Wesley  - Celtics - (CHA.. 13ppg, 6.5apg, 1.73spg)
Rick Fox      - Celtics  (LAL.. 12ppg, 4.4rpg, 1.22spg)
Bobby Phills  - Cleveland (CHA.. 10.4ppg, 3.0apg, 1.3spg)
Lindsey Hunter- Detroit (DET.. 12.1ppg, 3.5rpg, 3.2apg, 1.73spg)
George McCloud- Lakers (PHO.. 7.2ppg, 3.5rpg)
Travis Knight - Lakers (BOS.. 6.5ppg, 4.9rpg, 1.1bpg)
Sam Cassell   - Nets (NJ.. 19.6ppg, 8.0apg, 1.61spg)
Eric Montross - Nets (4.1rpg, 2.9ppg)
Rex Chapman   - Phoenix (15.9ppg, 3.0apg, 2.5rpg)
Brian Grant   - Sacramento (12.1ppg, 9.1rpg, 1.4apg)
Avery Johnson - San Antonio (10.2ppg, 7.9apg)
Dean Garret   - Timber puppies (7.3ppg, 7.9rpg, 1.62bpg)
Howard Eisely - Utah (7.7ppg, 4.2apg)
Bryon Russell - Utah (9.0ppg, 4.0rpg, 1.1spg)
Andrew DeClerq- Warriors (5.4ppg, 4.8rpg, 1.05spg)

Reply from rnault@ptialaska.net on Travis Knight: "Why would we want
this guy? A career backup at best.  Yes he did well occasionally for the
Lakers, but this is a team with plenty of other stars, could he
contribute every day to a mediocre team?"

Same person about DeClercq "Why?"

View Now: Save for Eric Montross the Celtics ended up with the worst two
of a good bunch of players. Both Knight and DeClercq have potential
though and it will be extremely interesting to see what comes of them
next season.

*Reported Trade - Eric Williams and Dino Radja  for Jayson Williams.

JOzersky - "The globe says the Cs tried to move Williams and Radja for
Jayson Williams but the Nets backed off.  Salary cap dump or not, that
is a stupid waste of two prime time scorers for a one dimensional
player.  makes we wonder....hope it is a mistake."

John Lyell in agreeance with Jozersky "I agree that would be a Don
Nelson type move !"

View Now: Bad call fellas. Jay Will is worth more than both combined ten
fold.

*Jeremy On the  Draft

"On the draft, Pitino does not need to trade up with Philly to get
Billups.  If they want him that badly they can have him.  Our biggest
need
is getting a shot blocker.  Battie would fit in perfectly and will be a
great PF after he puts on some weight.  Hopefully Mercer will still be
available at #6.  Then we could sign a free agent
(Wesley/Eisley/Cassell)
to play point.

If Philly takes Battie, then we take Billups at #3 and maybe Van
Horn at #6 if he's there.  Otherwise I would again take Mercer.  That
would give us a young backcourt with as much potential as Philly's."

Views now: Billups - draft bust for the Celtics, we got KA so not a bad
deal there.
                  Battie - 'El Busto' -- as labelled by Dan Issel.
                  Mercer - One of the stars  of the draft
                  Van Horn - see Mercer comment.

*Free Agent To DEFINITELY Consider if Healthy

David J. Boutte: " I haven't seen his name mentioned, but if Randy
Livingston of the
Rockets is healthy, then the C's should definitely go after him. He
was a rookie this past season and I doubt that he'll re-sign with the
Rockets, as he's caught in the same type situation as Travis Knight,
where the salary cap restricts the Rockets from paying him market
value. I read a scouting report on him before last year's draft and
it stated that he was a definite top 6 pick if healthy."

This seasons stats - 0.8ppg, 0.5rpg, 0.4apg - 12 games - waived or cut.

View Now: Still has promise needs to refine his game to be an NBA
player.

*Wednesday 18th June 1997 - Charles Jowett - Mercer could drop to #6 -
good prediction.
*same day MBerry - Celtics would take Billups at #3 - good prediction.

*DJensen33 reports a rumor of Dino Radja and #3 or #6 for Scottie
Pippen

Replies: Nault - No to that trade or Pippen - would like McDyess or Joe
Smith because of age.
             Rich - No to that trade. Wants a young player with
potential and lots of years left.
         Curtiss - Reported that it was an almost sure thing that Pippen
would be in Green.
      S Farrell - Felt Pippen would be a positive addition to the Celts.

That was the first half of June's posting. I shall make some more if
people want them....

Warwick