Re: creditable opinions?

On the other hand, if Antoine weren't so cocky he might read this list and
realize what it is he's doing that make many of us feel he's “not quite ready
for prime time” as far as money goes, anyway.  By “market value” does he mean
as much as he can get, or as much as someone else is getting?  That's a bit
elusive for my taste.  Personally, all I ask of Antoine is that he be
reasonable in his demands so the other parts can be obtained.  If he makes
superstar, he'll get the money, whatever the market will bear, when his time
comes.  He isn't there yet.  You can't compare him to Bird, I don't think,
because he's not the same type at all and Bird could back up everything he
did/said.  Talent is one thing, it's not the only thing.  I don't believe Bird
thought he could tell the GM who to draft after only two years in the league,
even though he'd proven himself a great deal more than Antoine has.  Antoine
likes children.  So do most people.  He also likes the hero worship.  If his
judgement ever catches up with his talent, we'll have a great player.  Until
then, he isn't worth Garnet money, not that Garnet is.  It's their job, right?
Who do you know with a contract like that in the private sector?  Did they have
to work up to that money if you do?  Of course.  A little more humility from
Antoine would go a long way.  He isn't Bird, Magic or Jordan yet, and maybe he
never will be.  Two years, in this case, is not long enough (although
considering the bad management in his rookie year might be in order here) IMO.
I would like the Celtics to sign Antoine to a reasonable contract and keep him,
but if he's going to demand the whole vault, I really don't care if they do or
not.  The escalating salaries have to stop somewhere.  And if they don't, the
owners have to be given some leeway, such as in the NFL as someone on the list
mentioned, for getting rid of players who are sitting on the bench year after
year and not contributing.  A team should be able to retire a player from their
roster after a year or two of that, I would think.  You and I would certainly
be put out to pasture if we did that.
    Sorry, but I felt the need to get that said.  We all have the right to our
opinions whether we agree with each other or not.  The long article about
Antoine was very enlightening, but it didn't change my mind a bit.  I feel the
same way I have all along.  Antoine has many good qualities.  I don't think
he's a bad person, I just think he's immature and greedy.  If it's a crime to
think that, then I'm guilty.
Dorine