Re: Walker

>He knows he has reached star status in Boston and that stokes his >Ego.

That's an interesting point, discussing Walker's self perception.
Walker is an interesting case, a "tough nut to crack" to use the
colloquial. From Pitino's comments about Walker in his book "Success is
Choice" he makes out Walker as very insecure and desperate for
attention, positive or otherwise. IIRC Pitino wrote about Walker's
reaction to the NCAA finals in which Walker took a secondary role to
Mercer. Pitino stated that Walker was notably depressed, thinking that
his effort(primarily his lack of scoring) had let the team down. Pitino
pointed out the Walker's acceptance of a relegated role, using
his(walker's) position on the high post to control the offense and pass
to McCarty and Mercer in positions to score. Pitino stated that Walker
needs affirmation to avoid becoming depressed or generally unhappy with
himself.
    I think Pitino's statement and Hart's reference to Antoine's ego
really point out the crux of the problems in resigning Antoine. I would
wonder if Pitino just did what he should, asking Antoine to take less
money to help the team(and promising it too him later, like Jordan),
bitterly denouncing the media(especially Peter May, Josh is right) for
constantly making moral judgements and conclusions on heresay, telling
Gaston to shut up and generally giving Antoine the true respect that he
craves, if Antoine would abandon his quest for "respect" through money.
Given the available information on Walker's character I wouldn't be
surprised. That might work out better for all concerned.

Noah(remember to reply to ishbak@conknet.com)