re:Holley article

Hey Josh:

Thanks for posting the Michael Holley article on Antoine Walker. It was
obviously a fascinating article that could be read many ways, so I hope
to read lots of list-member's views about it.

I was surprised to see that so much of AW's present ambivalence toward
the Celtics & Pitino can be traced to what I had thought at the time was
Peter May's pretty weak attempt at character assassination last month,
where he 1) made Rick Pitino sound upset (by IMO coaxing out and then
warping RP's relatively benign comments) and 2) implied that AW was
guilty of high insubordination for missing a summer shooting instruction
class and that his days as a Celtic were numbered. In retrospect, I wish
Pitino had just said "no comment" to that viper Peter May.  Remember
folks, Peter May is the guy who also blithely wrote that AW is "the most
hated player in the NBA" without mentioning a single source to support
this hugely slanderous assertion. If I were David Falk, I might urge
'Toine to just sue Peter May and the Boston Globe for his first easy
$17.5 million.

Whether or not AW is a simpatico guy is still up in the air, but the
Holley article at least presented the kid as both intelligent about
what's going on and naively honest to a flaw, particularly compared to
his coach and so many other guys in the NBA.  If I may say so, AW's
stunning lack of spin and slickness in the Holley article (mark my
words, this will eventually get him in trouble!) reminds me of a
fresh-out-of-Terre-Haute Larry Bird.  If only Walker was more at ease
talking to the white media (like Kobe, MJ etc.), we fans would probably
do nothing but rave - based on all evidence to date - about what a
clean-living, hard-working, well-grounded and generous person he is off
the court compared to Jordan, Barkley and the rest.

Another  thing I got out of this fascinating article is that AW will be
going to war against Paul Pierce in practice, and that Pitino better be
ready to step in to protect the talented rookie's ego from too much
damage before the season even starts. As far as I'm concerned, AW's
raging, Bird-esque competitiveness is ultimately a good thing both for
Pierce and the Celtics.

I've had a enough of losing. I want to be out on the streets of Paris
shouting my heart out when we "Beat LA" in the year 2000.

Joe Hironaka

****