RE: [CBA] Ball in Owners Park

>Profits have been declining since the 92-93 season.

While I wouldn't doubt that the owners are serious, I would doubt that
profits have been declining. If the owners truly are losing money why do
they refuse to open their books(except for the Celtics of course, but the
Celtics are making money "hand over fist")? One would think that the owners
would additional bargaining power by publicizing their plight.

> Most of the NBA owners are not desperate to deal w/the players and agents.

That depends on whether or not the players successfully arbitrate for the
payment of their guaranteed contracts, start up their own league/a league in
conjuction with FOX and/or decertify the union. If they players were to
receive their contracts without generating revenue, create another league or
mount a successful antitrust suit(unlikely from the resident experts) the
owners would have more impetus to reopen negotiations.

> Maybe a little thinning out of some teams will do the league some good.

That I might agree with. Although I'd prefer they kept Vancouver.

>If
> the players union doesn't give on some of the key issues, the economy is
> booming, there are other jobs;)

While I realize this is humor, the idea of the players union, run by Falk
and his ilk and star players and their cronies, has anything to worry about
is ludicrous. The only players who stand to lose by a loss of a season are
the ones who really need it, the ones who make the minimum or close too it.
But IIRC the players union has reached an agreement with a lending company
to pay players their salaries to be repaid later.
	All in all the owners position isn't nearly as strong as one would think
even with NBC paying them(the owners) whether the season goes on or not.

Noah