Re: ANTOINE IS A SCUMBAG!!!

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Timothy K. Tsai wrote:

> On Jul 13, D Parker wrote:

> > Believe it or not, Michael Jordan was loaded with a me-first
> > attitude,
>
> Michael Jordan arguably has a me-first attitude on the court, but is
> this true when it comes to financial compensation?  I don't know the
> exact figures, but didn't Jordan receive much less than his market
> value for most of his career (excluding the last few years) in order
> to allow Chicago to sign the needed support players?

You're right, although I was trying to make the point that a player with a
me-first attitude could still win championships.

I'm pretty sure I read in Sam Smith's _The Jordan Rules_ Michael used to
bitch to management all the time about not being paid enough and not
having more talented players.  Someone (Reinsdorf?) finally pointed out
that he couldn't have it both ways - if they gave him all the money, there
would be no salary cap left to sign better players.  According to the book
this revelation really stunned him, but I find it hard to believe he
never thought of it before.  It ain't rocket science.

Since then I think he worried less about his salary and more about the
team.  Of course, it helped these past couple of years with the Bulls
making up for those earlier, leaner years.

Dan