Re: Paul M and Pitino

Sherry & Hart wrote:

> Joe Hironaka wrote:
> >
> > Paul M wrote:
> > "Just curious, Pitino has proven what over his NBA coaching carreer? His
> > playoff history as a coach? The Knicks had their doubts about his
> > coaching ability / philosophy...yes? No red flags went up last year?
> > Everybody convinced Pitino-ball is the way to go deep into the playoffs?
> > Everybody happy with the offense, or was that all just Walker's fault?
> > Everybody thrilled about Pitino's apparent obsession with getting
> > Mashburn? Will the system make Mashburn a better player? Just curious?"
> >
> > ****
> >
> > There have been so many thought-provoking posts lately that it's kind of
> > intimidating. I'm glad everyone's back in the swing of things, even if
> > it means eating my words or adjusting my views. I love this list.
> >
> > Anyway, one post that I thought was worth trying to comment on is Paul
> > M's "Pitino or Walker?", since he makes valid points and since it goes
> > to the heart of many uncomfortable matters regarding the future success
> > of the Celtics.
> >
> > Reading his post made me think that:
> >
> > 1. while it’s true that a Rick Pitino coached NBA team has never
> > advanced in the playoffs - even with a dominant young player like Ewing
> > (better even than ‘Toine?) - I think it’s fair to point out that we no
> > longer are competing in the Lakers-Celtics-Pistons-Sixers era. These
> > days, a flawed team with four good athletes (Toine, Ron, Paul, Kenny)
> > might be able to advance far into the playoffs, particularly now with an
> > entire generation of Dream Teamers nearing retirement. We'll just have
> > to see.
> > 2. while last year's Celtics flamed out toward the end (when Kenny got
> > hurt) during their brief playoff run, I’m not sure that this late-season
> > losing streak was proof of the physical impossibility of playing
> > effective "Pitino-ball" over a full NBA season and playoffs. The "Greasy
> > One" in Miami supposedly demands even more effort from his players in
> > practice than does Pitino, yet until last year, Pat Riley's Lakers and
> > Knicks advanced as far into the playoffs as they deserved to go,
> > including winning a few championships. In general, I think a pressing
> > team that can effectively execute a fast break (get well soon, Kenny!)
> > will win championships at any level, provided they can adequately defend
> > the post. But I sense I’m somewhat oversimplifying the strengths and
> > weaknesses of Pitino-ball.
> >
> > Although Paul raises real issues that I feel I can’t convincingly
> > answer, I'd rather continue believing that our Celtics have come full
> > circle, historically speaking, with the hiring of Rick Pitino. Once
> > again, we are widely viewed as the NBA’s best-conditioned team. Once
> > again, we are "revolutionizing" the sport by implementing a full-court,
> > running game that no one else thinks can work. Once again, we have a
> > coach with a grand ego and motivational skills who enjoys micromanaging
> [...]
 Hi Joe,

 Another thing to remember is that Pitino prefers to use 10 players. If
 we start to see his 3 or 4 best players getting over 40 minutes on a
 consistent basis, I would start to worry. The most severe problem that
 Pitino has right now is to be able to go to the bench with enough
 confidence in his top 10 players. I think right now he has only 7(5
 starters, Bowens, Popeye)possibly 8(Barros?) he can count on for a
 consistent effort night in, night out. The rest McCarty, Pervis,
Dontae,Travis and Minor) are just there to take bench space. This totals
13 but be assured that Pervis will be on the injured list anyway.
Just one man's opinion.
Regards,
Hart

PS: Who wins the world cup on Sunday?