Team USA

-- BEGIN included message

Gene Kirkpatrick wrote:
"Can draft choices play for our U.S. team in the games of August?  If
so, we should see Pierce make the team.  Or will it be Drexler, etc.
plus some non-drafted players?"

****

Wow!  I think it would be fantastic if just one or two free agents or
unsigned rookies had the guts/patriotism to step up and represent Team
USA in the World Championships. As far as I know, the Team USA
organizers are a separate entity from the NBA and its owners (so what's
Antique Wilkins whining about?).

I wonder if there are any FA's out there who would give up a few weeks
of there summer for the love of the game? Any suggestions?  I wonder if
Larry Bird would have showed up for summer tryouts.

Or how do you guys think an all-collegiate team (including graduated
seniors) would do against Croatia et al this summer?

Dino, Kukoc, Nesterovic etc. vs. Jamison, Traylor, LaFrentz, Hughes,
Bibby, Vince Carter, Paul Pierce, Jason Williams etc.

Joe Hironaka
Paris

P.S. Knowing the power of persuasion of David Falk etc, I wouldn't be
surprised if even undrafted rookies decline to volunteer for Team USA,
for fear that there market value will fall or they will injure a pinky.
Still, it would be a really interesting news story if a veteran NBA free
agent annouced he would step up to play.

***

-- END included message