re:Latest AW thread

>Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 15:20:38 +0200
>From: Joe Hironaka <j.hironaka@unesco.org>
>To: celtics <celtics@igtc.COM>
>Subject: re:Latest AW thread
>
>...AW is one of the hardest working forwards, has never
>gotten in trouble except in our wild imaginations...

Unless you count a very high number of technical fouls, which I think is
a big reason for his rep among list members.

>My larger point, however, is that signing Antoine Walker at "market
>value" today might not financially blow up the Celtics in 2001-2 (as
>we're being led to presume by Peter May etc.). I think most
>knowledgeable basketball coaches/GM's would recognize that the
>charismatic Ron Mercers, Ray Allens, Kerry Kittles and Kobe Bryants of
>the world aren't half as valuable to winning basketball as a consistent
>double-double player.

How many double-doubles did Michael Jordan have last year?  It's less
than 15, he's not even on the league leaders page.  It's more impressive
to me that Antoine is one of only 12 players to have a triple double
last year.  There are plenty of stiffs cranking out double-doubles,
although averaging 20/10 is very rare.  Tommy often refers to this as a
double-double (he's wrong).  The problem is Antoine had to force his
offense to get the 20 points.  Now if he averages 22 points next year,
under more control because of Kenny and keeps up the rebounding, you've
got something.  Develop his passing skills, which are there, throw in a
little team defense and you've got an MVP cantidate.  But he's not there
yet and he wants to be paid like he is.

I don't think you can say that a dominant player has to play in a
certain position.  In fact over the years, the dominant players have
been moving down the ladder.  Russell, Chamberlain, Jabbar etc.  Then
Bird and Magic (a pg, but 6'9". Talk about a point forward).  Now with
Jordan we have a shooting guard MVP.  I think it's anybody's guess who,
what poition, will come next.

Jim