Re: Bye, Bye, Antione...

-----Original Message-----
From: CeltsFan <celtsfan@rcip.com>
To: celtics@igtc.COM <celtics@igtc.COM>
Date: Wednesday, July 01, 1998 6:53 PM
Subject: Bye, Bye, Antione...

> It really sounds to me that Antione is trying to distance himself from the
>Celtics and he has been like that all along.  Whether its before a game
>stretching by himself or ignoring an attempt to congradulate by a teammate.
> I always put this aside thinking it was just me but now I think very
>different, the KID is maybe the most selfish player I have ever seen where
>green, he might have talent but with that kind of attitude he should be cut
>loose, for whoever.

Start the flames; I rarely speak on list, and then when I do it's usually
just to gripe... but I couldn't let it pass. I cannot believe that someone
would suggest dumping Antoine because he doesn't stretch with the team or
because he ignores congradulat[ions] [sic]. Suggesting that he shouldn't
where [sic] green and should be cut outright for that, I think, is being
pretty shortsighted.

>Walker like many
>other NBA youngsters have a tough enough time speaking any english or
>puting together a clean sentence if it wasn't for the NBA I guarentee that
>he a Garnett would be working in a McDonalds back home in Chicago.

Yeah, and they probably have a little trouble with spelling and punctuation
also... (I'll abstain from further use of [sic] in my response). Okay, maybe
that was rude, but it never ceases to amaze me when people comment about the
faults of others, but then openly expose the same basic faults in
themselves. (Should we just chalk it up to quick typing without taking time
to read it over or do a spell check?)

Sure, many sports figures fail to use proper english when they speak. So do
quite a few other members of our society. And I'll be honest and say that
that does bother me at times, but for crying out loud... to harp on that and
then conclude that they are intellectual idiots because of it, is going a
bit too far IMHO.

> Now with the lockout coming I'm hearing how that they all are in trouble
>because they might not get paid for three months, bullshit if they didn't
>have the IQ of a coffee table they might be able to save a million or so
>from those giant contracts.
    (snip)
> I can't wait for the day that basketball is cut down to 4 teams because
>any more would be to expensive and all the players can fight over who will
>be the highest player, too bad they will have to hire sombody to count it
>for them.

I am just as upset as the next guy with the players union and the management
and especially the agents. Let's be realistic, BOTH sides need to move to
get this lockout resolved. You cannot place 100% blame or fault on either
side. If either side caves in just to start the games up again, then you can
bet we will be right back in this situation in the not too distant future.
But resorting to suggestions that some players cannot count or that they
have the IQ of a coffee table, detracts from any legitimate comments you
might have. (At least I hope these aren't your underlying points and purpose
behind the post). I realize that CeltsFan was exaggerating his or her
opinions to express his/her disgust, but c'mon... If you're upset at the
players for being greedy SOB's and you're jealous of the money they make for
playing a game you love to play just for fun [just making a point here; I'm
not suggesting that the latter idea was in the original message], then say
that -- don't insult them and imply that they have no intelligence. If you
think the owners are greedy SOB's, then say that. If you think the agents
are scum sucking greedy SOB bastards, as I do, then say that.      But to
suggest trading the best talent on the team because he doesn't stretch where
you want him to or because he doesn't accept congrats from other players;
and then regress into the "and he's stupid too" playground argument, just
weakens the impact of the overall argument.

Finally, if the original post was just an attempt to let off steam and was
written in the heat of the moment, then maybe I should just shut up and
continue lurking. Perhaps my infrequent posting condemns me to that status
by default and I'll be told that in so many words... Regardless, this is
just MY turn to release a bit of steam. So cut me a break also if you
will -- I'm taking the bar exam in less than a month and I'm starting to
stress out.

Anyway, let's hope this thing gets resolved soon enough and that we might
have the chance to see Kenny, Ron, Paul, Antoine, and [fill in here] run the
parquet floor together soon. And (except for a reasonable trade offer) let's
hold onto Antoine unless he does something like Latrell or Lawrence Phillips
or one of those types.
THOSE are the kind of attitudes we need to avoid.

PEACE!!!

--Tom

Thomas R. Lucas
Toledo, Ohio