Re: Who's on bass

I don't think any of this was the problem. When Pino was loud, it sounded wrong. They turned it down until they could work out the problem. I think that's all there is to it.

keets

> I mean, Pete did tell him to play as loudly as he could bear.

Right! There's *that* incentive as well!

> Do you suppose it was respect issue in 2002?

I don't see how offering a muted bass sound at Who concerts is in any
way *respectful* to John.  Seems more an insult to me.

But we must remember:  People (me included) were complaining about how
low *Entwistle's* bass sound was on many shows during the *2000* tour.

Out of the four shows I saw in 2000 (Atlanta, Detroit, Pittsburgh, &
Cleveland) only the Pittsburgh show had a deep & distinct bass sound to
my ears.

And, of course, a lot of it depends on the venue & where your seats are,
too.  But, I guess if I had to make a possibly incorrect & sweeping
generalization, I would say that the sound-techs at big rock shows aren't
creating a booming bass sound these days. ("You know in the old days....")

Remember, this stuff's all subjective.  Some sound engineer may hear the
sound check & say, "Yeah, that's plenty bass.  Sound's great.  You don't
want it too loud.  This ain't no rap show.  You want the bass to be
subtly felt, not heard.  Can't have it overpowering the guitar."  Maybe
those kinds of statements are made.

And as long as Pino's stage volume seems OK, he's not gonna raise a fuss.
But maybe, just maybe, in this communication age, maybe some fan com-
plaints about the bass sound in 2002 filtered through to people in power
who care about such matters.

- SCHRADE in Akron

The Council For Secular Humanism
http://www.secularhumanism.org/