Re: Speaking of special guests...

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:30:00 -0500
From: "Schrade, Scott" <sschrade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Well, was there an opening act at RAH?

The Coral.

I thought the "special guest"
thing was a misinterpretation & the press releases really meant "opening
act" as opposed to people joining The Who on stage.

Could be.

FWIW, The Coral were the very definition of "shoegazers"...the lead vocalist strolled around singing the song (the one song I watched) with one hand in his pocket, looking down at the stage, couldn't have appeared more bored if he tried. Apparently they're very big in Britain these days, but they didn't show me why on Monday.

A different band -- Black Velvet, also from Liverpool -- opened the Kentish Town Hall Forum shows. It was very easy to imagine them as a budding Led Zeppelin. The guitar player looked, moved, and played like Page (at least, as I imagine Page played at that age), the singer fused Jim Morrison, Mick Jagger, and Robert Plant moves, and the songs were loud, raucous and hook-driven. Don't know how far they'll go but at least they looked and sounded like they would rather be on stage than at home sleeping.

Cheers,
--
Alan
"the average Texan...carries not just a gun but a SHOTGUN."