Re: NewOperaTwinkle

> You were saying that people who go to see Tom Petty and ....., would not
> know the other band members, just as people who go see The Who wouldn't know
> John.
> You were making them equal.

Again, simply from a fan perspective.  Don't you understand that it's not only
the big four (Who, Zep, Beatles, Stones) that have legions of hardcore fans?

> That's not what I said, and that's not what this argument is about.
> It's about the people going to shows.

No it's not.  It's about the people already *at* those shows.  And how much
they know about the band they're seeing.  (Now we're arguing about the sub-
ject of the argument!  That's not a good sign!)

> Getus Gripus.

Ha!  I like that.

> It's getting old.

I was thinking (!):  Technically, we have the upcoming Who tour to make pre-
dictions about.  We have a way to test our hypotheses.  We could both attempt
to predict audience turnout, & then take surveys at each show attended to find
out approximate levels of audience "Who knowledge."  Of course, we'd have
to take in parameters like the new studio album, how good it is, how much radio
air time it gets, etc.

Or we could just drop the whole thing......

> > I'd be willing to bet that you have one or two U2 CDs in your collection.
>
> Nope.

You really should pick up their first album BOY.  (There's that "boy" word again!)

> Well, no, but here you are changing the whole scope of the argument.
> I'd be going with friends who presumably *do* like and know U2.

No shit.  But, in the example, I was focusing on you & *your* knowledge of
the band.  And the other people like you attending the show.

> Oh, and if the tickets are cheap?
> The fact that Who tix are *not* cheap has been a part of my argument from
> the beginning.

Argh!!  I meant that you were *sold* a cheap seat from one of your friends.
Or perhaps a friend *gives* you a ticket at no charge.  That kind of shit
happens, you know!

Those "under-level" fans, if you will, are what I'm talking about.  You seem
to think those types of rock fans don't exist in large numbers at Who shows.
I say they do.

> But Poopie,........shit..........I mean the dude on the U2 list can't
> claim that the bass player or the drummer are the greatest of all time.
> Get it?

Why is it so hard for you to believe that some *huge* U2 freak, who couldn't
give a flying fuck about The Who, would, if asked, claim that Adam Clayton
of U2 is a better bass player than John Entwistle?

Not everyone likes The Who.  Not everyone respects The Who.  Many rock
fans *hate* The Who.  I love The Who.  But I don't have Who tunnelvision
like you that causes me to lose my grip on reality!  Dare I say you're being naive?

> Because they suck!

There it is.  To you, U2 (?) (!) sucks.  So, some U2 fan couldn't *possibly*
hold them in higher regard than The Who.  Amazing....

> Are you now saying the drummer or the bass player are of the caliber of
> John?

Oh....muh....gud.  After all this time you still have no idea what I'm saying.
What is this, a joke?  Are you just fucking with me?  I'm trapped in some
horrible nightmare!

> John was the greatest!

Seik!  Heil!

> I guess now Kiss and The Who are in the same league.

Not in my book.  But my heavy metal friend Chris has a book, as well.
And KISS isn't in the same league as The Who in his book, either.  KISS
is in a *higher* league.  I'm starting to think you're too isolated there in the
mountains of Vermont.  You're losing your grip on the real world.

> We all can see that you are losing your Who fandom.

This coming from the guy who doesn't own the PSYCHODERELICT
version with the talking.  This guy's telling *me* I'm losing my Who fandom.
The same guy who's not even excited about the upcoming TKAA DVD.
I'll retire to bedlam.

> What was that shot at Pete by calling his new project "his *little* story".
> Just a bit belittling, don't ya think?

Oh, I'm sorry Jon.  Er,....I mean Kevin.

> You've got Who anger.

I've got *Kevin* anger!  ;-)

> You're troubled.

Over your lack of realistic thinking, yes.

> And now you're trashing John.  Making John seem like he was equals with the
> bass player for U2.....who is a nobody.

Must be cloudy up there in Vermont.

> Why do you feel you have to remind me about your wrong premise?

Because you keep switching the argument, saying I'm "equating" other bands
with The Who!  Now, you're saying that I think Adam Clayton of U2 is as
good a bass player as Entwistle!  You're quite mad!

> Deal with your resentment of The Who before we tour next year.

I love The Who.  I also love reality.  You should try it.

> I don't want a Sour Schrade Puss in the back seat of my Jeep listening to
> Kiss on his walkman.

Ha!  That was funny!  Walkman!

> So, then, tell me why you think people will go to the shows in '04?

Because to many rock fans The Who are basically Roger Daltrey & Pete
Townshend.  You'll get the hardcore nuts, like us, who would attend no
matter what.  You'll get the casual rock fan going to have fun at a rock
concert.  You'll get the hangers-on:  the invitees, the acquaintances, the
spouses.  The only ones who will sit it out are the curmudgeonly Leaman
types who are just bitter, bitter people.  ;-)

> Gee, I guess then by *your* poopie stance, they should have been packed in
> 2000 and 2002.
> What happened??
> Why weren't they packed?
> Why was DC only half full?
> Why was there only 1 or two sell outs?

Again, this isn't about attendance *levels.*  Just stop right here for a second
& let that sink in, would you?  OK.  Got it?  This is about the people who
*do* attend & how well they know the band.  See how you twist things?

> Jump on Mc's anti-John bandwagon all you want.

Now I'm anti-John.  Better take down that Entwistle poster I have hanging
in my apartment then.  Sell all my OX records & CDs.  Throw away his
autograph.  And his bass pick.

> Of *course* he's going to state that not having John didn't have an impact.
> You *really* believe that?
> Do you?

Your brain must've purged the statement I made, what seems like months ago,
that said Mc's opinion was too low, i.e. more people at Who shows know
& keep Entwistle in high regard, & your opinion was too high, i.e. there *are*
many people at Who concerts Who *couldn't* name Entwistle or *don't*
hold him in any high regard.  I can't wait to see how you twist this all around
& make it seem like I'm anti-Entwistle.

> Check your Who-fan card at the door.

*You* check your reality card at the door.  And enjoy your nice, cozy case
of tunnelvision.

- SCHRADE in Akron

Wooden legs are not inherited but wooden heads may be.
   - Edwin G. Conkling