Re: NewOperaTwinkle

In a message dated 9/23/2003 12:44:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
sschrade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<Not at all.  It happens to be my honest opinion.  Most rock fans are just
plain dumb & don't concern themselves with names of bass players & all the
other minutia we engage in.  It's sad to say, but some Who "fans," the ones
who go to concerts, don't really give a shit that Entwistle is gone.  Some.
I said *some.*

As a rock fan, I have been to 4 Tom Petty shows over the past 20 years and I
couldn't tell you the names of the other band members.  Own 7 albums of his,
know a majority of his songs, don't know who plays or played bass on what.

*But*, The Who are different.  The Who, from day one were not just a band I
listened to.  I have studied their music and the men that created it.  Through
the good times and the bad, the Who plays the music that has been going
through it all, or most of it.  Hell, I put on Quadrophenia when I am contemplating
the meaning of *my* life........

So, in one way, I am just your average, stupid rock fan, ie: Tom Petty, but
when it comes to the Who, it is not the same.

<<That may very well be true but now it's you who has slipped away from the
original argument.  We're talking about people who attend Who concerts.
Do we need to go into percentages?  OK.  I'd bet 40% of people at Who
concerts couldn't name Entwistle.  There.  That should get your balls in
an uproar.

Let's take it one step further......what percentage, out of Scott's proposed
40% of the Who fans that attend their shows, that know who John is, do I fall
in?...........a majority or minority?  Or, in other words, using percentages
again, what percentage of the people that know who John Entwistle is are, A.)
your average hard core *rock/music* fan (who knows John because of their
appreciation and knowledge of good music in general? or, B.)  a hard core *Who*
supporter, like myself.

Jo

;?