Under a Raging Bass and Mary(ville)

Sandy...

>I'm listening now to
>Roger's "Under a Raging Moon". What a great song. I think in that CD Roger
was
>really feeling his age and reminiscent. I think he hit his middle age crisis,
maybe
>a little early, but it really showed up in this CD. Anyone agree??   Sandy

That's my favorite Daltrey solo album after McVicar!  Love that one.  And
although I never really thought about it that way, I think you're right about
his nostolgic mood.  In some songs you feel it; "Raging Moon" being a perfect
example.  I can't help but feel that he's also belting it out like the old
Roger for one last time too.  For the Gipper.  Yes, in later recordings, he
still wails like Thor with jumper cables hooked up to his ass from time to
time, but he sings softer half the time too.  The Raging Moon album is the
last one I can think of where he roars from start to finish.  Fantastic scream
at the end of "Rebel".  Maybe Rog decided that would be his last album in that
style; for old time's sake.

Kevin...

>You're underestimating the power and draw of The Ox.  Voted by his peers as
>the greatest rock bassist of the millennium.  Boris the Spider.  My Wife.
>He's not as unknown as you make him out to be.

That's a little biased and expected to be heard from someone on a Who
discussion board like this.  Bully to you for standing up for our late great
Ox.  But really, ask "the average Joe" to name ANY bass player, and you're
likely to come up with a blank stare.  I have an old buddy of mine who was a
HUGE old Genesis/Peter Gabriel fan, and he was talking to a dynamite looking
babe in the saloon one night.  The discussion turned to the inevitable, "what
kind of music to you like?" and he said that Genesis was his favorite band.
Her eyes lit up and she cheerfully exclaimed, "Oh I love Genesis!  I have BOTH
of their albums!"  Poor Dan, turned away from her disgusted and probably blew
an opportunity to write Penthouse a nice letter.  A little off from the
bassist concept noted earlier, but you get the idea.

And Jon...

Thanks for talking about "Mary".  Now I can't get the song out of my head, and
that's not such a bad thing at 'tall.  So much better than "Mellow Yellow"...

Jim in Colorado

PS - Maddog,  makes you wish Big Jim Thompson was still in charge over there,
doesn't it?  Could be an opportunity for Pete too; saving Maryville could
become his "mission from God".  Potentially a saving grace in the eyes of the
pubic too.  I wonder...  And how about that Cubs/Sox race going on!?!  First
time since 1906?!?  Sox had to make it interesting, getting their butts kicked
by the Twins like that, but both teams are still in it.  It's like the
lottery; my God how beautiful a thing it would be, but I don't dare think
about it too much because the odds...those goddamn odds...  Go Sox!!!  Former
South Sider, don't you know.