Re: Chicken or the egg........

> Oh jeez, you still here??
> I thought you'd be over on the Kiss List, ummm.....kissing?

I belong to no such KISS list, Mr. O'Neal.  Besides, if I left this list
I'd miss out on those riveting, hometown stories of yours that usually
end up with you heckling or shouting at some band on stage.  Good thing
your son's too young to be embarrassed.  But that poor wife of yours......

> Do you wear makeup?

Yes, eyeliner on occasion.  But I haven't dressed up as a KISS member since
around 1979 or so.  I was always Peter Criss, the drummer!

> > one can imagine Kit Lambert telling the band, "Keep doing it, keep
> > doing it!"
>
> Oh, I thought that was fact.

So the story goes, yes.  I was just trying to say that Kit Lambert's eyes
probably lit up the first time he saw the audience's reaction to a smash-up.
I'd be willing to bet he was the only one who saw the value in it - how it
could be a wonderful tool for the band to get publicity.

> > The first auto-destruction moment was supposedly an accident.
>
> If it wasn't, it was genius.

Well, I guess "half accident" would be a better term.  That famous first
bump of the guitar neck on the ceiling was definitely an accident but the
frustrated thrashing Pete finished the guitar off with was pure channeled
aggression.  No accident there.

> One that only The Who could have pulled off.

Good point but it begs the question: How did Hendrix pull off the equipment
smashing then?  The answer is, he didn't.  Hendrix's guitar smashes always
looked awkward & forced.  He looked like he was doing it because it was the
thing to do at the time.  There was little beauty & little of anything
cathartic in Jimi's auto-destruction.  He just seemed fucked up when he did
it.  No focused anger.  No beauty.

> And, since when are you agreeing with Mc, anyway???

The guy's got big balls, what can I say?  ;-)

BTW, I really do enjoy your "hometown stories," Cousin Kevin.  But your poor

- SCHRADE in Akron

To pursue science is not to disparage the things of the spirit. In fact, to
pursue science rightly is to furnish the framework on which the spirit may
rise.
   - Vannevar Bush, 1953

He that increaseth knowledge, increaseth sorrow.
   - Ecclesiastes 1:18