Re: Roger vs. Pete

In a message dated 9/2/2003 10:09:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sschrade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
And humans tend to look for purpose & patterns in life's
events.  We've been conditioned to believe things happen for a reason, or
at least contain some sort of "deep" meaning.  So it's only natural that
you should ponder such matters.
Back to the simple example of a banana;  when I was a kid, I considered out
of my human curiosity that this had to be more than just a banana tree seed.
It was just obvious to me that someone or something designed it.  If it were
just to reproduce another tree for the survival of the organism, why was it good
to eat? Why did it taste good and have value as nourishment for my health?
Why did it come in such a convenient form so as to have a natural wrapper
complete with seams for easy peeling?  This was no accident.  And, it is one of
literally billions of examples of obvious design in nature.  So the thought that
came to me was if someone made this so convenient for me to eat, who is He and
what does He want? What is the purpose in all this around me?  And, why do
humans have such a higher life than other beings?  There is no comparison with
other animals to humans on the earth.  Not even close.  This is not a proud
statement, it is just the result of honest reasoning.  What else makes space
shuttles?

>> One that is still human.

>Still conscious, you mean

No, actually I meant human.  A seeking heart is a human virtue.  Conscious is
a good description too though.  Demons and evil spirits dull the natural
senses.

 >>If we don't seriously consider our own life, purpose, and destiny, we are
>> in denial and are nothing but accidents.

>I don't follow you.

I meant that if we just live to survive from payday to payday, from problem
to solution, from party to hangover, from bachelors degree to masters degree,
from year to year, etc., without stopping to consider what is really going on,
we are shortchanging ourselves into a treadmill existence. Life is meant to be
much better than this.  We all know this, but how many of us stop to consider
stuff?  I know that you do Scott, so this wasn't aimed at you. There has to
be a balance between Pete and Roger.  They are a good team.  Pete considering,
Roger doing. Doing without healthy considering is aimless and dull.
Considering without doing (which shouldn't be taken as a broad judgment on each of
them) is useless.  I'm glad to have them both as patterns.

I know that we have a purpose.  Of this I am sure, because I know what this
purpose is. I enjoy it everyday. It's like I know that I saw the color red and
even if someone were to say that I didn't see it, I'd have to say yes I did.
It is that clear to me.  How do you describe colors to a person who was born
blind?  Faith substantiates the things unseen to the natural senses.

I'm looking forward to seeing Roger on the history channel as well.  I'm not
diminishing what Roger does, but I do have an understanding of the level Pete
is trying to "dig" to reach and I think it is very noble of him. Pete has the
good sense not to be fooled by his own intelligence.

And by the way Scott, I've agreed with almost every signature that you've
posted, especially the last one from Sir Richard Francis Burton.  Very honest.

Jon in Mi.

You are what you eat.