Re: Is you is or is you ain't a Who fan

In a message dated 10/2/2003 12:44:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bushchoked@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I don't want to see him in a diminished state. I'd rather have great memories
of the power and majesty.

Mark, I'm glad that you have those memories.  It's interesting as well as fun
to hear your view.  Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to be a little
bitch.  I think you understand that.

Pete was incredible on the 2002 tour.  -The best I ever saw of *him* and I
saw him 8 times since '82.  Granted, these were not the "glory" years, but I
never, nor did anyone that went with me ever see a better show than The Who, even
in these so-called diminished years. (I'm a painter, not a writer, so bear
with me y'all.)

Here are some thoughts I've had regarding the recent history of the band:
Attention please.  Ahem.

1982, Pete was sick of it all and wanted it to be over. He wanted the freedom
away from this band to live his own life.

1983, He and Roger hated eachother.  (Without love, there is no hate.)

1986-After the fire, blip on the screen.

1989 was a money tour.  They played it safe with many band members, going out
as The Who on ice. Saved John's ass. I hated seeing Pete strumming an
acoustic guitar nearly the entire show. A ghost lead guitar?! We know that ear
problem. This showed their care for John, even under accusation of being sellouts.

1994. Roger and John found Zak. MAJOR find.

1996. They still played it relatively safe with the Quad tour with many folks
onstage. Much better though.  Pete played a few electric songs; but he now
had a bald head. He wore a dress jacket.  Great tour.

1998 Pete played at the Chicago house of blues and played AAA on electric
like the man I know. He found a guitar rig that didn't hurt his ears to play and
still got him off. His solo career tanked (saleswise) with PD and I think he
knew it wasn't going to fly as he may have hoped at this point.

1999?  Roger's heart to heart talk with Pete about TheWho. Major event.  Pete
*listened*.

Ibash gig./ Blues to the Bush.  Just the bare band for the first time in
years.  No safety net.  Pete shocked himself.  Not only could he still do it, he
looked cool while doing it. A major fear overcome. He didn't look like an old
fart in a Who incarnation. (But he said he couldn't kick his leg over the mike
stand anymore) He remarked about this realization in the Lifehouse video.
TheWho was still alive.

The 2000 tour. Great.

 2001. The concert for NYC. Wow.  This solidified the difference between Pete
solo or otherwise, and Pete with The Who.  It is a brand name and it's what
people want.  It is where the *power* is.  He is free to kick ass here, and did
just that. At age 56.  No one came close to them that night and the playing
field was level. Very high profile event. Pete is the king of lead guitar in a
show atmosphere and he does it in a band called The Who.  I think this may be
where he decided to be a member of the band again.

2002 Big plans. New album slated, at least two new songs written, new *Who*
website, new tour.

John dies. :-(  Devastating hit. Roger and Pete harden up and with their
backs to the wall do what they have always done. Whatever they want to.  Pete
plays like there is no tomorrow and Roger gives it all he's got. Zak is as solid
as can be, and possibly better than Keith might have been at this age. I get to
hear Pete play that guitar onstage in that band that he has now come to terms
with finally.  He has decided to go with the bread and butter while he still
can.  He is actually digging it again.

2003 That stinking story.  Roger's (and the many fans' including all of us)
unbending support. Pete's thankful heart for his new/old friend.  Only they
know what eachother knows now. There is a genuine friendship and mutual respect
that was hardened by a furnace. Pete is humbled. Roger finally gets the respect
he deserves from Pete. They know they need one another. The new album is on
it's way finally and a new tour to follow with new material.  Time is passing.

Pete knows what it feels like to be in The Who.  He said it still feels like
it when he and Roger take the stage, and I believe it.

Jon in Mi