Re: thewhothismonth.com

From: "Sue Tal" <suetal@xxxxxxxxx>

My computer also has been screwed up lately too, so I am sending this from
another location.  This stupid thing called "realphx.com" keeps affecting a
lot of stuff.

I've had problems with similar scripts that I've picked up while surfing. These things are nasty. They embed themselves in your computer's "regiistry" and get triggered when certain things happen. you have registry settings that determine what url to go to when explorer is started, when a search returns no results, when you type in a partial url (e.g. www... instead of http:\\www....). I have had all of these settiings and more reset to go to sites which set off a cascade of sites which you can't close. At that point, I unplug my cable modem from my PC, which stops the sites from loadiing and then i can close them down.

I'm not sure I have a solution for you. I have tried Ad-aware and McAfee, but they haven't picked up this scriipt. Which is not to say that you shouldn't run these things, they are absolutely necesary. I'm convinced that my computer was infected through Google's toolbar, which I ironically downloaded because it promised to block pop-up ads. It did that, but I have read articles which state that versions of it leave a vulnerability that allows scriipts to infect your machine. I've cleaned up a lot of it, but my computer is still a mess. I get pop ups all over the place, and it freezes up much more often than nit did before.

What I would suggest is that you go to Google and click the "Groups" tab. Enter the name of the site that's causing the problem. You will get results that contain discussions between regular folks and techie nerds about problems similar to yours. It takes some diggiing, but you can usually find someone who's going through something similar to you. i've pasted one, below, that looks interesting.

Good luck,
Jim M

P.S., I'm 37, and have been a Who freak since about 1980. I joined the list when I heard about Pete's accusation. (can you tell from my address?) I knew this would be the place to hear all the news first, and I was right. I didn't expect to stay long, but all the talk about the music remined me what I loved about it. I've bought (and listened to) more Who music in the last year than I had in the previous ten.

From: "Thor Larholm" (thor@xxxxxxxx)
Subject: Re: New AIM Expliot/Worm/Adware-script (realphx.com related)

View this article only Newsgroups: mailing.unix.bugtraq Date: 2003-10-13 08:58:24 PST

As with the previous AIM exploit we saw, this one is just trying to use the Object Data vulnerability variation.

MS03-040 was released last friday, fixing this variation.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms03-040.asp

As such, this is not trying to use any unpatched vulnerabilities and provided
that you are up-to-date on at least critical patches you are safe. The MS03-040
patch is one of those cumulative patches that all IE users should install
immediately, since it is a revised version of MS03-032 it fixes not only several
critical vulnerabilities (of which Object Data is just one) but it also fixes
all previously patched IE vulnerabilities. Consider it your starting point.

Regards Thor Larholm PivX Solutions, LLC - Senior Security Researcher "Counterpoint: Linux vs. Windows Viruses" - http://www.securityfocus.com/guest/23028 Service announcement - http://www.pivx.com/larholm/unpatched/

Fretting that your Hotmail account may expire because you forgot to sign in enough? Get Hotmail Extra Storage today! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es