Re: Stones,tootsie Rools, some non-who healthcare, and good looking democrats

Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 09:24:39 -0400
From: "O'Neal, Kevin W." <Kevin.ONeal@vtmednet.org>

First off, our hospital just went through a rather significant lay off and pay cut due to 3 straight quarters of declining revenue and running in the red. All director level folk had to take up to a 15% decrease in pay, and over 50 employees lost their jobs.
[snip]
>Again, show me a doctor who's suffering and I'll worry about this aspect more.

I can show you group after group that are just barely paying their bills.
Increase in liability Insurance is indeed ruining the industry.
[snip]
These people have *HUGE* student loans, and ever decreasing incomes. Talk to a general pract. to get a good feel for what they go through.
EXCELLENT job of debunking Mark's stereotypes of wealthy doctors, Kevin. I hope it sinks in.

Bring on Socialized medicine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And then you fall right off the cliff with this solution. Get in your time machine and take a trip to Russia's fully socialized medical system, as you apparently need an illustration of what this would mean. Or you could just talk to a friend of mine who ESCAPED Russia by emigration, but before she did, at the age of 11 had her tonsils removed without anesthetic, thanks to the state of Russian medicine. And this was in the '80s. But, by golly, it didn't cost her family a penny.

Care should be available to everyone.
Care is not a free good, as you of all listers know. Therefore it must be rationed somehow, and rationing based on government bureaucracy and waiting lists is far what we have now. Do you really want to create a black market in medical procedures for those who can afford them? Because that's what socialized medicine does.

bills that are 10x higher than for a person who has been insured and receiving health care all of their life.
10x.
Again.
10x.
Rights are not measured by dollars, and doctors and patients have the right to a free market in medical procedures as well as houses, beer, pizza and CDs.