Re: phoenix disappointment - What I was/am looking for.....

----- Original Message ----- From: "O'Neal, Kevin W."

> The premise is that Pete entered/visited (WHAT EVER!) these sites for his
own reasons, not in hopes of combating these sorts of sites, thus the
"research for my autobiography" defense.

I don't think Pete draws these kinds of divisions about what he's working
on, and neither do I.  He's got an autobiography in the works, which deals
with his own abuse.  He's helping friends deal with addictions of all sorts,
that always seem to stem from abuse.  He's writing essays about the evils of
internet pornography and how large corporations facilitate it.  The
autobiography is part of his attempt to do something about abuse, and vice
versa.  He's seeing a common thread, sexual abuse, running through
everything he's thinking about at the moment.  He decides that he should
understand the enemy as best he can and he makes a dreadful mistake, which
he admits and is paying for.  You seem to see the "research" defense as
something he made up to cover up his real motives.  If that's what you
believe, then I don't blame you for being angry with him, and I'm sort of
surprised you haven't abandoned him altogether.  That's a credit to you.
However, a lot of us don't agree with your assessment of his defense
amounting to a cover up, so we also wouldn't share your anger.  He needs
those of us who believe that his awful decision was well intentioned to
stand strong next to him.  To fight the fight for hearts and minds at the
individual level.  I can see why your doubts would prevent you from being
part of that.

> The judicial system in the UK, the US, and the victims don't seem to
believe so.

What victims groups have made statements, other than the Phoenix House?  I'm
not suggesting that others wouldn't feel the same way, just wondering if
I've missed something.

Jim M