[no subject]

NBC song and dance

I may not make it to a Broadway show this week, but
thanks to a sweetly pushy reporter from the L.A.
Times, I enjoyed a front-row seat at the NBC upfront
extravaganza, held Monday at New York's Metropolitan
Opera House...

...This came in kind of handy when the "Will & Grace"
thespians pranced onto stage for their annual musical
number. In the absence of flashy executives, "Will &
Grace" has turned into NBC's answer to Les Moonves.
Someone concocts a medley of musical numbers, and the
kids give it their all, dancing and belting out song
parodies on stage like a bunch of eager summer
repertory players. This year, they appeared via stage
elevator (i.e., as though coming up through the floor)
wearing spangly vests and purple glasses and sporting
Pete Townshend guitars, a la "Tommy." While they sang,
I tried to read the scrolling text in reverse off the
prompter reflection. It was an ode to Zucker and his
boss, GE executive Bob Wright, a couple of
shiny-on-top executives feted in this version of
"Pinball Wizard":

They're two bald wizards
That advertisers love
They're two bald wizards
You'd think they would get plugs

And so on, through songs taken from "Mamma Mia,"
"Hair," "Phantom" ...

If drama is your thing
We've quite a spread
And if the truth be known
I'd sleep with "Ed"

....and other shows. Really, the "Will & Grace"
foursome are quite good at this, and their special
guest Harry Connick Jr. was a treat, if only to remind
people that he did use to sing exclusively for a
living...

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!