Re: Entwistle Auction

Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 23:15:32 +0100
From: "Tom Connor - SU President" <misc25@york.ac.uk>

Cool.... Just got back from London for a job interview which for the record
went really badly, but did give me a conveniant excuse to pop into Sotheby's
to look at the John Entwistle collection. It was so cool! And the best thing
was, I was actually able to pick up and play one of John's guitars
(admittedly really badly, since I have no musical talent whatsoever) and
browse through all the costumes. It was a bit like being in a really strange
fancy dress shop, but a million times more exciting.
Here's another perspective, from a private e-mail:

Dear Alan;

Can't tell you the sick feelings I got walking into the auction rooms. It was
like everyone in there was tearing at John. The grief I felt was unbelievable. It all came rushing back. You know, I don't know if we can afford anything at the auction. But, the most important things are our memories, thoughts and music from the Ox. As you know, we have things John has given to me personally, and those things I treasure. I hope Queenie will be okay. She is not coming down as she cannot watch her son's possessions get sold to strangers. Can't blame her!
Cheers,
--
Alan
"That's unbelievable, if that's true."