Pete Townshend press release

At Pete's site:
http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/diary/display.cfm?id=37&zone=pr

Pete not to be charged. Receives CAUTION

Pete Townshend Press Statement

After months of investigation officers from Scotland
Yard's Child Protection group have confirmed that they
have not found any downloaded child abuse images on
rock guitarist Pete Townshend's computers. They added
that Pete co-operated fully with the investigation and
that the decision to caution was made in accordance
with the MPS Case Disposal Policy for this
investigation.

Pete stated "From the very beginning, I acknowledged
that I did access this site and that I had given the
police full access to all of my computers". He added
"As I made clear at the outset, I accessed the site
because of my concerns at the shocking material
readily available on the Internet to children as well
as adults, and as part of my research toward the
campaign I had been putting together since 1995 to
counter damage done by all kinds of pornography on the
internet, but especially any involving child abuse"

The Police work closely with the Internet industry
through the Internet Watch Foundation to monitor
paedophile activity and any member of the public
accidentally discovering such images should notify the
IWF through their website.

Ironically Pete later contacted the Internet Watch
Foundation on the subject of the offensive site. He
pointed out that "The police have unconditionally
accepted that these were my motives in looking at this
site and that there was no other nefarious purpose,
and as a result they have decided not to charge me. I
accept that I was wrong to access this site, and that
by doing so, I broke the law, and I have accepted the
cauti

The message cuts off there.