african lives

> Your argument above seems a bit flawed to me.
> So, we can pick and choose, based on what is in our self-interest, who we
> help free from persecution, and who we don't?  That's more than a bit
> selfish, and may explain why we let Africans die by the
> thousands...........
> Those lives aren't in our self-interest.
> There's a national policy to be proud of.

Many of the African conflicts you are referring to didn't have clear sides.  Amidst civil war in many African countries villains are almost too abundant and are killing each other.  Corrupt governments, roving bands of warlords, terrorist rebels, or warring tribal groups often prevent the U.S. from taking a clear side... and we know what happens to peace-keeping forces.  Just ask the families of the dead soldiers who were dragged through the streets in Rwanda, I believe it was.

Mc