Solos

> Which makes me wonder, with the best bassist in the history of rock and
> roll, how come The Who didn't feature more bass solos.  I mean there's those
> little runs in My Generation and what else?  What's the really long recent
> version of 5:15 with an extended solo?  I think it was on Pete's website
> from the 2000 tour.  That was great.  Why didn't they do more of that?

I think The Who were anti-solo for most of their career.  Moon hated drum
solos, he's stated as much.  I'd bet The Who felt like their live show was ex-
citing enough without guitar, bass, or drum solos.

And, as you mentioned, odds are you might get a bass & drum solo anyway at
a Who show with Pete throttling his guitar to the point of having to grab a back-
up - leaving Moonie & OX with some space to run around in like delighted
school children.

So, why the bass solos in 2000?  My guess would be it was Roger's idea
(with the blessing of our dear OX, of course).  From what we hear, it's Roger
who shapes the Who's live set - song order, pace & such.

This is evident on the bonus footage of the RAH DVD where Roger & Pete
are going over the pacing & song order of the show.  Roger says they should
build up the second half of the show slowly & they both agree to start it out
acoustically with Pete by himself.  You can tell Roger's really into it & Pete is
very nearly ignoring him, strumming his guitar.  "So what songs do you think
you'll do," asks Roger?  "I dunno," responds Pete, rather flippantly.  Roger
looks at someone who's been listening & just laughs - conveying the unspoken
sentiment, "I've had to put up with this Pete Townshend guy & his attitudes
for 40 years!"  I love that bit.

- SCHRADE in Akron